Sunday, June 4, 2017

What to Do When You Hate Exercise


Some people like to exercise when they're stressed. Others prefer to treat themselves with a cozy blanket, a good cup of tea, and a nice movie playing. If you're reading this, I'm going to assume you're the latter. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of exercise. Sure, I enjoy it (to an extent), but I don't love it either. Lately, because I have more free time (and motivation overall), I do find myself hating it less and less. But for people who a) are busier than me, b) have issues with being sweaty, or c) simply don't enjoy the act of exercising for any reason, it can be hard to live in a world of gym selfies, SoulCycle memberships, and high-intensity weight-loss workouts (or whatever they call it these days.)

Haven't you ever seen an article titled, "If You Hate Exercise, This Will Change Your Mind." and just thought, Kind sir, I'm flattered, but I'll be honest with you. I just hate exercise, and nothing will change my mind?

"Do it with a friend!" Even though tips like these were written with good intentions, for some, it might not do much. What if all our friends love exercising, while we still hate it with a passion? No amount of jumping jacks ~*done together*~ can fix that. Although I enjoy the company of friends very much, my point is that if you want to do something you don't like, most times, you'll need that drive from within.


Have I mentioned that it's okay to hate exercise? Regardless of the "health-shaming" you're gonna get (I'll write more about that term some other day), it's quite normal to hate it. My limbs burn and I run out of breath and my body is sore and sweaty all over, and you're telling me I'm supposed to like it? Nuh uh.

However, at the end of the day, physical activity is still crucial for your long-term health whether you like it or not. I don't want to corner you into thinking you should "stop being lazy" or whatever, and trust me, I know it sucks to have to go outside or stand up from the couch. But it'll suck a lot more to be stuck in a hospital bed for weeks later on in your life. So if you're still trying to avoid exercise, here are some things you can consider doing that aren't technically "exercising", but are still quite close:
  1. Stand or walk around in your home. | There are plenty of things you can do while standing up or pacing around your living room. I do it after I eat because it helps the body digest properly. You can also do it while you're doing things like studying or memorising something, rehearsing for a presentation, or even brainstorming for ideas.
  2. Learn to like health food. | Ever heard that your health is 20% exercise and 80% diet? Well, there's your good news, fellas, because at least that gives you a maximum of 80/100 on your overall physical health. No, you don't have to throw away your milk or burn your Oreos to the ground, but it'll be beneficial if you can at least learn to like eating healthy every now and then. Aim for balance! Learn to make friends with fruits and vegetables and refreshing salads, so that your body can still be nourished and at its best condition without necessarily working out.


  3. Volunteer to babysit. | If you've experienced having any form of baby/toddler inside your home, you'll know exactly what I mean. If you have a small nephew/niece, or if any of your friends might need someone to look after their children, volunteer to help! Playing with children can be just enough activity that forces yourself into moving, and (sometimes) the fun makes you forget how tiring it is. I swear, chasing after a toddler on sugar rush can feel like it burns just as many calories as a morning jog.
  4. Tidy up your living space frequently. | It wouldn't hurt to start cleaning up your space more frequently than you used to, say, about once a week or so. It can be your apartment, your bedroom, or even your entire home. You have to admit that tidying up isn't always an easy feat. If you're not necessarily a neat person, decluttering and putting things to where they belong will take a lot of time and energy to get done.
  5. Find/buy clothes you can exercise in. | But not too many. (Because let's face it, you're not gonna wear it THAT often anyway.) The truth is, you kiiiind of can trick yourself into thinking that you don't hate exercise a lot. This can be as small as only purchasing one set of activewear, or just one pair of yoga pants. At least when the time comes, or when one of your friends insist you join them for some sporty activity or working out, or if your long-lost motivation suddenly knocks on your door, you'll be prepared. If you wish to slowly get into exercise, stay tuned 'cause I'll have a post on that very soon.
  6. LIFE. | Honestly! Wondering what to do with yourself if you hate exercise? Live! Do you!! I get it, human beings are very capable creatures, and sure, our bodies can do a lot of things, but measuring your body's abilities only by how much exercise it can do isn't entirely an accurate move. It's highly important to keep yourself active, but alongside these tips, you seriously don't have to keep being hard on yourself for not choosing to go to the gym, or for not going on a run each morning. At least you still have time and energy for your other hobbies! Making music? Painting? Reading? If you want to reduce your TV-watching or Instagram-scrolling, there are plenty of other options you can take to start fulfilling your life. Invest in whatever makes you happy.
And that's all I have for you today! I hope you liked it and found it helpful. Don't hesitate to leave a comment below because I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you're reading this, that means I'm currently on vacation in Bali and I'd scheduled this post before departing. I can't wait to share bits and pieces from my trip once I get home so stay tuned! 

As always, I'll see you around.



    4 comments :

    1. Very good tips! Gladly I love exercising. But for someone who hates it, this can be pretty useful ! Hope you are enjoying Bali. Make sure you share pictures with us ;)

      http://www.desiringsme.com/diy-lace-up/

      ReplyDelete
    2. you look so classy!
      kisses from Italy
      http://blamod.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. Buying really cute exercise clothes always motivates me to exercise, even when I hate it! Thanks for the other tips!

      Kim
      Simply Lovebirds

      ReplyDelete
    4. Great tips! I love exercising too!

      https://mihaailo.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete