Friday, March 31, 2017

A Letter for a Soulmate


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I've already met you, or if I have yet to meet you someday, at a time and place unknown to both of us. I don't know where you are now, but I'm guessing at one point, our paths will cross, perhaps a bit inconveniently.
But now, while we're still on a journey of becoming ourselves, and embarking on the path life has set for us prior to our meeting, here's what I have to say to you.

I'll sound arrogant for saying this, but I'll be nicer than you think. I'm not always a nice person, but I'm saying I'm nicer than how I look, and sometimes faces can be... misleading. Don't worry, my mother raised me well enough.
I'm also notoriously sarcastic. Watch me as I tell you how "funny" your bad jokes are, or how "great" your hair looks once you get out of bed.
I can't help with being frank about my thoughts. And when it comes to thoughts, I always have plenty. So don't be angered when I tell you I don't actually like your new shoes, or that new movie you loved but I hated. However, remember that my remarks don't necessarily mean my affections for you become anything less.

Speaking of affection, you should know that I have this strong lack of faith in love.
I'm one of those girls you approach with great caution. 
I don't trust people easily. Sometimes ever, at all. 
Because when it comes to people, every time a bond of trust leads to disappointment, I slowly inch away from what once deceived me. My heart goes back to being hollow. Numb, even neglected. I could turn somewhat colder than I used to be. (And that's really saying something).
I guess you'd know by this point in the letter that I'm not exactly what they call "emotional".
I do not swim in feelings, or drown in heartbreak. I'm not heartless, even if I may seem like it at times. My brain simply holds my heart at a strong leash. There's a difference.
So yes, I'm a human of logic. I like to convince myself that all the great minds of the world are like so as well. Except I still think a good heart is exceedingly more important.

On a lighter note, I like to create and write and take pictures at any given opportunity. Don't be surprised at my tendency to over-share in words what I could never utter in real life. That's just how I am. 
I'm well-traveled, but I also find that nothing else on Earth can give me peace like solitude and the comfort of simply being home. 
I spend far too much time in art museums. If you wish to wait, don't expect me to take a "minute". I'll take such a long time that your legs will go numb. That's because while others simply walk past the sculptures and framed paintings, you'll see me stand quite still. You'll see me staring at whatever peculiar thing is there in front of me. It's okay to leave me be, because most times, I don't mind being left alone.
Anyone who lives with me can expect to hear random bursts of renditions of the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, or anything alike. See, I immerse myself in Disney songs and good music that brings my heart joy. I silently hope we share the same taste.
If you're ever confused on what to get me, a book will do. A very very good book, because I believe any book that's lesser than good, sir, is just a waste of my time. Buy me one for every Christmas, buy me one for every birthday. I wouldn't mind. Some need shoes or bags and those sound great too, but soon enough you'll realize that all I need can be found within the pages. The pages of a very very good book.
So perhaps, I'm not a person you have to know. But I'm a person you'll have to learn.

I don't necessarily enjoy talking about marriage or kids, so there's no reason for me to do so in this letter. I simply do not see my life heading specifically in that direction, unless the future speaks otherwise. You may not agree with my way of thinking, but it's fair to say that I think that will only be one of the many disagreements we'll have later on. And that's okay because we'll pull through anyway. We'll tackle whatever the universe decides to throw at us, and we'll sail the ship through the hailing winds together.
A lot more can be said about me, sir, but I'd rather not say. Not now, at least, or ever.
Because I do think that at one point, our paths will cross, perhaps a bit inconveniently.
And whatever I failed to mention in this letter, well, you'll be welcome to find out for yourself, 
after that someday comes.
And when that someday comes,
I hope you wear a little blue.
No reason, none at all.
It just might make me like you a bit already.

All yours,
someday.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What are some things you'd want your soulmate to know?
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, as much as I enjoyed writing it. Please don't ask me about my random bursts of sentimentality. They just happen!
A book review is coming up soon, so I hope you stay tuned.

Have a good weekend!




2 comments :

  1. Omg I loved this. So beautifully written! That's such a sweet idea. Happy weekend to you :-)

    Arden | Missing Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this!

    What a lovely, unique and thoughtful idea! One day, I think you should show your soulmate this post and write about their reaction.

    You have a new follower in me.

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete