Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Four Apps to Change Your Life


I'm finally writing again after two weeks of, well, hell. I'm talking tests, late nights, and all those awesome responsibilities. But! I'm so glad I can now finally sit down and finish this post (one I've been preparing for a while now).

When life gets a little too hectic and your phone gets a little too cluttered, or maybe on the contrary, things are starting to look just a little too boring for your liking, I've found that these apps can be perfect for you. I've been using them for quite some time and thought that they were good and useful enough to be shared with all of you! (Note: Not a sponsored post, guys.) Trust me, these apps can change your life.

UMUN

In case you haven't noticed, throughout 2016, social media has been working like a rocket going full speed ahead. And upon this development, it got to the point where Instagram, as we know it, isn't even just a picture-sharing platform anymore. It's art, guys.

Instagram is no longer just about the hashtags or photos, it's your feed. Yes, you are your own ~*brand*~. And I'm not even exaggerating on this. A lot of people are putting extra effort into creating a cohesive, aesthetically pleasing Instagram feed. Where all the colours and layouts count. That's why an app like UMUN would totally come in handy.

The pretty app not only allows you to plan which pictures to post by showing how they'll look on your feed, but it also has that sliding feature so you'll see what happens when your feed changes position after a new post. You can see the stats of your profile, and you can also check what it'd look like if you erased certain photos. Complete with some editing features as well, this app is perfect for helping me organise my feed. (Not that I try to have one ha-ha-ha)*.

*First rule of having an Instagram feed: Act like you're not even trying to keep one.

Evernote

A lot of bloggers have been talking about Evernote and recommending it and I am so glad that I decided to try it out. I keep it because it helps you stay on top of all your plans, ideas, and notes, all packed into one! It keeps you super organised, and it fits perfectly for notorious planners and perfectionists like me.

Other than compiling a bunch of notes and putting them into categories, you can also turn them into to-do lists or reminders, depending on how you wish to use the stuff you wrote down. You could even record your own voice and put it inside your "notebook", and I think that's really impressive and useful for when you have an idea but just can't seem to put it into words in writing or when you don't have the time to jot them down. Their other feature that really impressed me was that you could take a picture of a document or any type of file, and they'll detect the photo and save the file as if it was scanned directly! It makes things super easy. Honestly guys, life-changing.

Duolingo

Haar kaas is mijn kaas - "Her cheese is my cheese". The sentences they choose for the quizzes sometimes just crack me up, I swear.

Being the ambitious over-achiever, it's always been kind of my thing to want to learn new languages. This year, I've been starting with Dutch. I think that compared to other apps that help you with language learning, Duolingo is certainly the best I've ever come across. The buttons and whole theme of the app kind of makes it feel really fun to start learning it step by step. You can set a goal for yourself whether it's just some laid-back practice that'll only take 3 minutes of your day everyday, or for something intensive, like if you want to gain 50 XP in one day (in which case you'll have to do more levels in that one day). 


They also help by sending reminders, that usually say "It's time for your daily Dutch lesson." And I think that makes it quite interesting. The app also makes sure that you're keeping all that new information inside your head, and they do this by making you repeat levels that you passed earlier. The repetitiveness may feel kind of annoying, but it honestly helps you remember, so your learning becomes much more effective! They offer a wide variety of courses (German, Italian, French, and more!) I'm a beginner in my Dutch but really excited that I'm learning it again. If you reach your goal daily for a longer period of time, you'll be keeping streaks, and that motivates me a lot to keep coming back to this app every now and then.

Plant Nanny
Self-care apps have to be one of the best reasons to be alive right now, you guys. The one goal that I've been setting for myself since last September was to drink at least 2 litres of water a day everyday. Thankfully, I've been successfully reaching it on, well, most days. It gets tricky but while continuing on this goal, I decided to start using Plant Nanny again.

The one thing I can't get enough of is how cute this app is. Like the name suggests, this app allows you to choose plants and water them everyday (as you drink water yourself) until they grow and reach new levels. Once they're fully grown, you put them in your garden, harvest their seeds, and you continue planting more.

I think the concept is absolutely brilliant and the plants are so adorable that it makes me somewhat excited to see them grow (does that make sense?). The app keeps your body information (such as weight and activity levels) and lets you know how much water you need in a day, and it keeps reminding you for the rest of the day until you drink sufficient water. According to them, I only need 1.7 litres of water for my body each day, but eh, I always go a little overboard.


So if you've been having a little bit of trouble trying to get yourself to drink enough water, I think getting an app like this would totally be helpful, and it's really fun to have something to "take care of" in the midst of leading a really busy life. In which case I mean your body of course, but in the app, your tiny adorable plants.

I hope you guys enjoyed this post and found it helpful for you! These apps, again, did not sponsor me in any way, but I thought that they were so useful and can totally help change your life in one way or another. What apps have you been loving lately? Do you use any of the ones I listed above?
Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you, or share this post!

Have an awesome day.




20 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing. It’s always great to find new apps & this is the first time I’ve heard of the plant nanny app. It looks so cute, even if I already do drink a lot of water haha

    TFM BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's soo cool to see someone learning Dutch! I'm from the Netherlands and I know many people dislike our language because it's difficult or weird. Thanks for sharing these apps, I've been looking for something like umun for a long time!

    Groetjes! (See you later)

    x Lissanne ~ awkward-overload.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I gotta say Dutch is certainly difficult to pronounce! (I actually think I'm slightly better at pronouncing French words as opposed to Dutch haha) But I still really like the language, and the country. The thing is I actually have some Dutch roots from my mom's side which kind of motivated me to start learning the language! x

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post, thanks for sharing

    www.abdelkhalekleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Super nice post! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! If I don't already have the apps, I'm downloading them. I seriously could use all of these. I already do a pretty good job on tracking my water intake but who doesn't want to grow cute little plants in the meantime? Thanks for sharing!

    x. Cattleya

    alittlecattleya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep that's exactly what makes me love Plant Nanny. Thanks for reading! x

      Delete
  6. My phone has such little memory that I can't install any new apps:( A shame because there are so many great ones out there! I'd definitely install both Duolingo and Plant Nanny, they've been on my radar for a while and sound great!

    Succes met je Nederlands!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw too bad! (Mine's running out too though haha but it still has room thankfully!) Try backing up most of your data elsewhere to make room? And yes they're both really good!
      Hahaha dank je wel! <3

      Delete
  7. Ohhh I've never heard of Umun but that seems like such a useful app! Definitely gonna download it an give it a try :) Thanks for the post, girl!

    xo, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why have I never downloaded the umun app???? Xx
    http://louiselovesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the umun app as well! It definitely helps me plan out my Instagram posts. You're right, Instagram is an art!

    Stephanie
    lifestylebystephanie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute

    Also loving your blog!!

    www.londonstylegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic post! Thank you so much for sharing.


    ** Join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need Duolingo and Umun, I hadn't heard of them before but they sound great! x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, Plant Nanny is so cute! I'm going to try it because I desperately need to drink more water! Big fan of duolingo, love to brush up on a language before traveling with it.
    Ashleigh|Mermaid on the Move

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice post, thanx for sharing
    http://carrieslifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad to have come across your blog and particularly this post! I've been using Planoly for Instagram which I love but I'm so excited to check out UNUM. Thank you so much for the recommendation! Another app I love is "Quotebook" which holds all of your favorite quotes and imports existing ones from your Tumblr likes. I'm absolutely obsessed with inspiring words so it's perfect - thought I would recommend it to you :) | hayleysolano.com

    ReplyDelete