Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Thoughts of a Non-American Citizen


My opinion doesn't matter but here it is anyway.

The US presidential debate took place yesterday and of course, now everyone's talking about it. I decided to write about this because I thought it'd be interesting to speak from my point of view. Yes, me. A non-American citizen living on the other side of the world. 

Okay, here's a disclaimer: I'm a high school student. I don't have a degree, I've never experienced living in the United States, therefore I don't have a crazy amount of knowledge on this. I've never actually cared too much about my own country's politics, let alone another's. But what's been happening in the US, I find, is unlike any other political affair I've seen. Topped off with the debate, I've chosen to share my perspective on both candidates. 

Why should you listen to me? Well, I'm not saying you should.

With this year's presidential run in the US, people from all over the world are pitching in, shouting opinions on what's best, all for the sake of one country. One. But of course, it's because America is a great nation. Despite its faults, it still holds a lot of power and influence. So when it comes to who's going to rule as President, I'm not surprised that things are blown way out of proportion. It's not because of the country or the government, or the voters or campaigns. No, I think the enormous attention this year's election is getting from the media is drew in by a candidate. A person. And that person is Donald Trump.

Him

I'm not going to start describing him Regina George-style, but I gotta say, this man has made the presidential run feel very 2016. He's a controversy! When he announced he's running for President, people reacted to it as they would to a scandal. Many strongly disagree, but many also support him.

The most obvious thing is this: Millennials hate him. Perhaps not all, but I'd say most. As a generation rising in a time of diversity, we clearly don't like this man we saw on TV who was saying things about Mexicans and Muslims. Not to mention his commentaries on women. The truth is he's loud and reckless, and it's easy to not like him. (I heard that in the length of 26 minutes, he interrupted Hillary a total of 22 times. Yikes.) But Trump's troublesome behaviour have actually earned him something we hand to him unknowingly: Media attention.

His motto is to "Make America Great Again". And yes, Mr. Trump here obviously has some sets of "greatness" up his sleeve, with his empires and hotels and all things alike. But I just hope that in the midst of chasing greatness in a candidate, America doesn't lose sight of what's actually more important: goodness.

To me, it still blows my mind how this guy would have the audacity to run for President. I couldn't imagine how America would thrive if he were to win. All I could visualise is Trump meeting the Prime Minister of Japan someday and slightly offending them with subtle remarks on Asians. Perhaps not, but you get what I mean. He can be a host of a comedy show, it might even be hilarious, but the President of the United States? Maybe a bit of a stretch.

Her

Alright, so Hillary Clinton is technically the only choice we have aside from the Miss Universe millionaire with a fake tan, yes? Of course, as a girl who regularly looks up to influential women in the world, Hillary would be the candidate I prefer. 

I feel what she has to say about the problems America's facing, knowing she's a mother who has a heart for the nation. Her experience in the White House also serves as a huge advantage, whereas Trump is more of just "ah yes I have a billion dollars, let's build a wall." She's gone to many countries, and worked alongside a number of former Presidents, even married to one. So yeah, this lady seems like the woman with the most knowledge on America.

Now before we go all #ImWithHer, there have been plenty of people disagreeing with what she has to say. Most seem to be calling her a "liar". I don't really know what facts stand behind their comments, so I don't have much say in this also. But hey, aren't all politicians liars? I thought all presidents lie at some point. 

However, I still think people need to look past the euphoria of having their "first female president". While I love and stand with the whole "girls run the world" movement that comes with the flow of Hilary's supporters, there comes a time where people should stop worshipping her just because her role in politics have become an answer to your prayers. Like a Messiah for feminists.

So the ~*girl power*~ thing is great, but you have to pay attention to what the candidate can really offer you, and how she's going to contribute for the wellbeing of your country.

Conclusion

All in all, I think history would be made if, and I obviously hope, Hillary wins. The votes are looking quite promising for her but there is still plenty of time left for Trump to catch up. Other than that, I simply pray that a country as powerful as America can fall into the right hands. Whoever wins the round, I hope they bring a good and lasting change for the nation. And still, all by the people, and for the people.

So what did you think of this post? Which candidate do you personally prefer?
Do share and leave a comment as I'd totally love to hear your thoughts!

I'll write again soon.



17 comments :

  1. What a great post! I watched the debate and, as many others, once again concluded that there's simply not a good candidate - this year it's a choice between bad and worse, perhaps. Thanks for writing this up and for sharing! Really enjoyed your blog!

    Lena
    http://zoyaandme.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lena. I get where you're coming from, yeah, but let's just hope for the best for America's sake I guess haha! x

      Delete
  2. lol! I love the way you write. And the regina george reference is hilarious

    xx francesca
    Frank Vinyl : A California Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. The election is definitely causing quite a stir! We will see what happens.

    xo, Heather
    http://golddippedchaos.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an American living abroad, I follow all the election news really anxiously. I am a democrat, but I was most definitely a Bernie supporter during the primaries. I'm not full-fledged "I'm with Her" but of course I'd vote for her over Trump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This election is absolutely crazy- it's been sensationalized beyond reason (thanks, Trump). I'm definitely ready for it to be over!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you describe it and your style of writing. I am totally with you and hope she wins! It's been one hell of a ride and I cannot imagine the US with him being the leader! Yikes! Also, I am a non-American but I have been lucky enough to have lived in the States for a total of 7 years, I was there when Obama was elected and it was amazing! I think it would be such a triumph if after him Hillary would follow as the first female president of the US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool that you were there when Obama was elected! A long time ago but that was quite the momentum. I'd go for Hilary as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. I'm a non-american citizen as well but if Trump wins I'm going to be devastated. Regardless of girl power and all of that jazz I'm definitely still routing for Hillary. I feel like in all honestly Trump never thought he would get this far and now he's just in too deep to turn back.

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was interesting to read your views. Controversy truly is the word for how it is right now. Let's see how it goes!

    — DT | Here I Scribble

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I think Hillary isn't really a messiah for feminists (which I consider myself one) but she obviously is a huge role model and to have a man come along and tell her the White House isn't her place when she has worked in politics her whole life is emblematic of the problems women face worldwide when a man thinks he can do a better job!

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm totally supporting her on that cause. I love that she's not letting anyone underestimate her. She's totally slaying in a field where no women is ever seen in action. No women but her, that is. Thanks for your comment! xx

      Delete
  10. Great post! So interesting!

    http://violettedaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post! As an American citizen with a degree, who's taken a class or two on American politics, this election is an absolute joke. In my humble opinion, these two people only made it this far for television ratings. The beautiful thing about American politics is that we have more than just the two parties. I've always considered myself a staunch Republican, I even attended a Trump rally near my hometown to try to convince myself that he would be a decent leader for our country. This year, however, I'm debating going the third-party route with Gary Johnson. After all, Abraham Lincoln was a third party candidate who did amazing things for our country! If you're interested, I highly recommend checking out candidates from the other parties who aren't getting nearly as much attention as the two you're constantly seeing in the news. I also consider myself a feminist, but I would never ever want Hilary Clinton in the White House; she has been caught lying multiple times about things she's done while in political office (i.e. 30,000 emails) or her political stance (i.e. gay marriage), and I can't even look at her without thinking about Benghazi. Trump, on the other hand, might be a shit human being, but he is a businessman with no political which might be what our country needs at this time. Once again, this is just my two cents on the current situation of our country, feel free to take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Kourtney! Reading your comment is actually quite eye-opening. I've never heard or thought of the candidates from other parties so it never came to mind, but I can still understand how you'd view the whole thing, and this does make sense. Thanks for sharing your point of view and for leaving a comment! xx

      Delete
  12. nice post ! maybe you should try to study law and politics ? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha nope! Never interested in both these things.

      Delete