Monday, September 12, 2016

The Shrine of Remembrance | Melbourne, Australia


Oh I miss Melbourne.

Last June, I visited this gorgeous city with my mom and stayed for about 10 days there. We kind of had to soak up all the winter air but nonetheless, it was still a memorable trip. The thing about winter in Australia is not only does it happen midyear, but it's also not that cold compared to perhaps the US or the European countries. I loved feeling the light breeze while still enjoying a beautiful blue sky over my head. It was a gorgeous experience! I had a lovely time exploring Melbourne in many different ways, especially knowing that it was most likely going to be my home starting on next year until about the 4 years after. Heh. But anyway!

While I was there, I managed to take an afternoon to arrange a meet-up with my good friend Shannon. We only had about a couple of hours so we decided to go to the Shrine of Remembrance! And let me tell you about (no- let me show you) how stunning it was.


The hilarious part was after we took the tram from the city to the Shrine of Remembrance, we had to walk up the hill through the grass and past these beautiful beautiful trees. And we ended up taking countless photos there. By the trees. Before we even reached the landmark. Haha we couldn't help it, this area was so serene and gorgeous and it was so different from home that we loved every inch of it. So yes, we loved walking up the hill and in the distance, we finally saw it.

That's how majestic and big the Shrine was. Featuring my height for scale.
This stunning, iconic Shrine. Where do we begin? Once we walked up the steps, the scenery was stunning. You get a glimpse of the crowded area of the city of Melbourne in the distance, but also right above you, and all around you, just stunning blue skies. It was quite a sunny day, but still windy and just perfect.

I didn't wear any special outfit, I basically had a green coat on with a pair of black jeans, black boots, and my go-to tiny Kate Spade backpack. I didn't want to dress up that much because I wanted to let the day be more beautiful than I was. --> My new motto.

The Shrine of Remembrance was built to pay tribute to the lives lost during the First World War. There were about 19,000 Victorians killed during their time serving in the war, but their bodies didn't get to be buried near their homes. So the Shrine was built not only to preserve the memories of the men and women who served in the Great War (1914-1918), but to give the families a chance to grieve and the communities a chance to honour the sacrifices made. Hence, the Shrine was built as the "national war memorial of Victoria".

One of the chambers inside the Shrine. 

We climbed to the top of the Shrine before leaving and got the most stunning view of the Melbourne city skyline. It got a little more cloudy but once you witness it in person, it would literally take your breath away. Especially since the landmark was located quite outside of the city and away from the crowd, but the view from the top of the Shrine gives you a look past the Yarra river and into the busy CBD of Melbourne. (Fun fact: They also designed the city so that the Shrine would constantly be visible if you walk along Swanston Street, which is one of the main streets in the city, in order to pay tribute to the historical structure.)

I didn't take as many pictures when I was inside and seeing all the exhibits but I can tell you it was definitely fascinating. There were displays of old journals and pocket watches and uniforms that belonged to the soldiers, not to mention the wall that showed seemingly endless rows of medals. It was breathtaking. If you are ever in Melbourne, you totally have to visit. The entry is free of charge, and it's definitely something worth seeing.

Have you ever been to Melbourne? What places did you get to visit? Do leave a comment below and I'd love to hear from you guys :) Stay tuned for more.






16 comments :

  1. This reminds me of how beautiful Melbourne is!!! Sure miss the time we had! Love thiss!❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what a beautiful place, and such stunning architecture! I'd love to visit one day xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics and one of my dream please!
    http://fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have such amazing pictures of your trip! I have always wanted to visit Melbourne, but havent had a chance yet!

    I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read, maybe we can follow each other on social media?

    www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

    Deepti xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would surely love to visit it someday and great photos. :)

    www.selestyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to getting caught up in the beauty of the trees before you even get there! Ha!
    Lovely photos, looks like a very meaningful experience.

    Alison - http://alisonpate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This place looks so nice! I would love to visit every city in the World, haha :) #TravelAddict :)
    xx
    http://putitallonme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I miss Melbourne too! We are actually considering moving there in a few years time!

    Studio Aveline - https://studioaveline.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have been to Melb once and saw this place from far! So pretty!

    xx
    Adelynn Pang
    http://treasurethatyouthlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have been to Melb once and saw this place from far! So pretty!

    xx
    Adelynn Pang
    http://treasurethatyouthlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to Melbourne but would love to visit! Beautiful photos :) Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mild winters? Sign me up! I have always wanted to go to Melbourne anyway!Sounds like you and your friend had a lovely time and I can completely understand getting sidetracked by the beautiful trees ;) The monument is very impressive and I think a lot of people forget that those from Australia also gave their lives in World War I and II.


    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting Melbourne is my dream! I had a chance to study back in 2012 and declined the offer because my parents said it was 'too far away'. How foolish of me not to follow my instict and do it!
    Thank you so much for sharing this post, it felt like I was there :)
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://www.natbees.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool place
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete