Monday, February 15, 2016

LGBT in the Eyes of A Young Christian Girl



As an opening, or some sort of disclaimer, I'd like to state that everything I'm about to write on this post isn't meant to hurt or offend any group of people. I am not trying to spark an argument, nor am I trying to "promote" Christianity in any way. I just felt that I needed to take a stand on what I believe in, and clarify some things in a righteous manner to clear some perspectives, both for me and for others.

My name is Joanne and I am a Christian. I'm a high school student, therefore I well enough know what I'm going to talk about. I follow Jesus Christ, I believe in all that He is. I believe in the existence of Heaven, and in the Bible, and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Spiritually and personally, I am His.

But I'm not here to talk about religion. I'm here because I feel like there is an obvious gap or difference between what Jesus is, and what the church is. Globally, I've seen far too many issues about how the church treats people who happen to be homosexual, or transgender, or anything alike. I know the Bible, and I know Christ, and I'm willing to go to my grave saying that what some violent churches have portrayed is nothing godly.

If you happen to be a part of LGBT, on behalf of hopefully Christians across the world, I wish to start by saying I'm sorry about how some churches have treated you. Please don't let some bad people let you believe that all Christians are the same. I find it horrible that some people in my religion are going out of their way to hold up posters labelled "God Hates Fags", directed at the two men holding hands walking down the street. My God does not hate. It's just not what He does. 

I attend a Christian school, and I won't hide the fact that yes, as Christians, we are taught, and so we believe, that homosexuality, bisexuality is wrong. Against the Bible. Against what God initially wanted in the humankind He created. I'm not saying I disagree. I am a Christian, and my job is to stand up for the Bible, and for Christ.

You're right. I can't stand against what the Bible says and I won't. I have to say I disagree on homosexuality or bisexuality. However, I have nothing against other people who happen to be homosexual, bisexual, or transgender. Here's what I believe: I must live the way that Jesus lived. I must do what Jesus would have done. That is what Christianity is about. And the thing that people forget is that Jesus hates the sin, but loves the sinner. 




If I happen to have friends in the future who are part of LGBT, then so be it. If the girl in my campus wants to talk to me about her girlfriend, she should feel free. If a boy next door tells me he has a boyfriend, then that's okay. If I share a class with a girl who then tells me she wasn't born a female, then I'll just nod and listen to her story.

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people are still peopleI will treat my fellow humans as humans, and that's it. I will do it because Jesus has never taught us to hate. Jesus once had dinner in the house of a corrupt, non-believing tax-collector. Jesus helped prostitutes. He heals and washes the feet of sinners with his own bare hands. Would it make sense for me then to roll my eyes and gag at the sight of a gay couple? This is why I don't plan on pointing fingers and labelling homosexuals as "sinners". We are all sinners. Always have been, always will be. It's just that we sin differently, right? The way I see it, the people of the LGBT community simply don't have the same beliefs as I do. They don't agree to my faith, and so I know that it's not my place to try and pull them into something I believe in personally.

As an example, just because Muslims aren't supposed to eat pork, doesn't mean they should go out into the world and stop everyone from eating pork. Or do you find Muslim women forcefully putting on hijabs on other women, even ones with different religions? Screaming and insisting that hair must be covered? I highly doubt it. Because that's not what religion is. It's supposed to be sacred, and personal. I believe it's more important to carry the word of God throughout my character and actions, and through the love I show to others. They must know who Jesus is by looking at how I live. They must witness His love by looking at how I can humbly respect others, including those who happen to be non-believers. That's what I call a life goal.

I have learned that avoiding or looking down on people just because of their sexuality or gender preferences will get me absolutely nowhere. And frankly, that sounds pretty evil. So whoever you are, whatever you believe in, whatever your sexuality happens to be, I am okay with that. Yes, I am wearing a cross around my necklace, but my God is a God of love and acceptance.

Please feel free to leave a comment below with your opinions, or questions even. I'll try to answer as reasonably as I can! Thank you for reading all the way to this sentence. I hope this post has encouraged you to understand a little deeper, and I do hope you find at least a bit of goodness in what I've written.




PS: If you have been following my blog for a while now you might notice that I actually posted this a long while ago, however I added a few things and made a few tweaks here and there (without losing the true meaning of this post) and decided to post it again because I felt like I needed to restate this. And also for my English assignment. Hi Miss Ella. :) Have a good evening.

1 comment :

  1. You're probably the first Christian person I agree with on this subject. I don't see myself as a religious person but I respect the one who are no matter what religion they follow. Something I always say to people is "I don't really know if God really existed but if He did, I know He wouldn't be judging people for who they are and for their choices". There's space for all of us in this world, people just need to learn how to respect each other. I have friends that don't have the same beliefs I do and that is ok because we respect each other and that's just how everything should be! I loved reading this :) x

    abittersweetdiary.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete