Saturday, July 11, 2015

LIFE: Advantages and Disadvantages to Blogging

Source: Pinterest
Blogging comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I only started out on a whim. It wasn't a calling or a big life project or a quest to seek something bigger than life. It was simply I wanted to start doing because of how I always have so much to say and no one to say it to.

As you might have noticed, I had decided to take a long break from blogging (I practically went a whole month without it) and frankly, these were very refreshing weeks. It was nice to live life as it is, without letting the pressure of blogging about everything shadow over it. I've done so many things this summer break and today, I'm ready to come back.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how this activity has added to and diminished a lot of things inside my life as it is. I've been blogging for about 6 months now and I can tell you that sometimes, it's not easy, yet it has felt so wonderful at the same time. To just clear things out, I wanted to make a post that has the list of pros and cons when it comes to blogging.


Advantages:

  • The blogging community and great networking! - Blogging has given me the opportunity to look into the lives of other bloggers I follow located all around the world. The working lady from Australia, the creative stay-at-home in New York, or the college graduate from Ireland, it's always interesting to be updated about how other bloggers are doing in their own lives. I adore how, in this community, we share our ideas and thoughts and build each other up, showing interest in one another and what the other has been up to lately. It's a very lovely bond to be in.
  • It's a space suitable for both professional and personal matters. - Professionally, blogging is a space where we're exposed to things like collaborations, guest posts, sponsors, etc. The whole process where brands visit and take notice of your blog, then contact you and decide to sponsor you, has to be one of the newest things to experience out of blogging. It serves as a wonderful bonus to blogging. But at the same time, since your blog belongs to you only, you're also free to talk about the things from your heart that matters to you, or the things in your life that has been going through your mind. 
  • It helps increase productivity. - Creating content for your blog doesn't always come from the items you purchase, because simply buying things is not enough for you to post on your blog. Hauls are great, but can be dull. What blogging does is it pushes you to go out and do some serious thinking or doing. You think of a new recipe to post, you feel a stronger urge to finish that book so you can talk about it, or you start a brand new DIY project for you to write about. You take your own pictures, and start doing more things in your life that can basically keep your blog interesting. It comes naturally and is a great way not to waste your time on just being lazy.
  • It serves as a great source for inspiration. - When you think about it, blogging is literally the expanded version of Pinterest. It's always good to have a niche, but I'm sure that none of us like to follow the exact same type of blogs as we go. From all the different blogs we do follow, we pick up on how to make new, different things. From beauty, fashion, health, lifestyle, any category of blogs can provide us with fresh ideas that we can apply into our own lives and from there, it keeps things from being boring.
  • You're free to post about anything you desire. - And lastly, the most obvious thing of all is how we are not limited to only post about certain things. Your blog is yours to handle, to keep, and to take care of. You can create anything you want, talk about anything you want, and share about anything you want. You're not obligated to follow any rules. It's a space where you can be free to share about any type of experience, or discovery.
Disadvantages:

  • You still have to cope with the bad days. - Blogging is wonderful, but at times, it really doesn't help how you still do need to endure days where you're not feeling like yourself. There are days where you won't feel like doing a new DIY or going outside to take pictures, there are days where you'll just be tired and worn out, not ready to do anything. I'm sure many bloggers relate to how blogging does create the illusion of a constantly perfect, smooth-sailing life, but the fact is, there are some things that blogging can't fix.
  • It does require a lot of purchasing things. - I would personally categorise this as an unpopular opinion, but when you're running a blog, let's be honest, you do have to keep buying things. I'm not saying purchasing things that make us happy is bad, but blogging does encourage us to keep coming back to that book store for new books we can review, or to try out those new arrivals we saw at Sephora. You get the idea.
  • It's a whole other thing you need to arrange a schedule for. - Just like school or college or something like going to the gym, blogging is something that takes a whole lot of effort and time-managing. It's not a good idea to simply go out on a whim for each of your posts. In blogging, you do need to take a portion of your time everyday to work on the content of your blog, which isn't always easy. You need to prepare topics, and then schedule when you'll publish each post you've come up with. A blog always needs to be constant and reliable.
  • It's easy to be discouraged. - Of course, when it comes to blogging, gaining followers is crucial. Having a steady, growing audience is mostly what bloggers need to be motivated to maintain their blog so that it may reach new levels and evolve to bigger blogs. But the truth is, gathering an audience like so is anything but easy. Blogging takes time to master, even the famous bloggers took 5 years at least to reach where they are right now.
And that's all I have to say on this subject. I do hope that this has turned out to be informative and helpful to those who are thinking of starting a blog, or just relatable to those out there who already have a blog, like me! But overall, I am proud of what I've achieved so far and how I've completely turned myself into a blogger with a growing and developing blog despite how I still have to struggle through high school.

Have you thought of other disadvantages or advantages when it comes to blogging? Leave a comment below and tell me what they are! I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.



11 comments :

  1. First of all, welcome back to blogging :) Secondly, I would like to add one more disadvantage. Friends, family memebrs, colleagues and other random people usually don't understand why you as a blogger have to take a picture of many random things or ask them to take a picture of you. Personally, I usually receive comments "why are you always on social media?" or "why are you taking a picture of your food?". It's hard and sometimes impossible to explain that I'm a blogger and I want to share my life details online. I believe we can call this situation lack of encouragement. And it's pretty sad. Because whatever we're doing in life and feel passionate about, we should receive some encouragement from the close people :)

    --
    Monika
    www.365affairs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I totally get that! Sometimes people look at me silly for taking pictures of and documenting everything. They think I'm totally social media-obsessed, haha! Thanks for sharing this!

      Delete
  2. Glad your back blogging! Lovely post, really enjoyed reading.

    Anika | www.anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready to see some more posts from you :) It's good to take it easy.

    I took a long break from blogging and also have come back from it. I just really needed to find out what I wanted to do with it. I totally agree with all of what you said here. It definitely is another thing that just takes up more time---but! It is really helpful because it helps me and encourages me to be creative (and share that creativity!) and also share my voice about whatever I want with the world. I'm still not yet to the point where I want to tell friends and family about it (although one of my friends already did) but what can ya do. One of these days, aha.

    Peace & Love // Celestralite.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just randomly found your blog & I'm so glad I did.
    This was a great post.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can relate so much!

    check out my blog + follow back?

    xo,
    Jess | wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with everything you just said!

    Krissie x - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy reading this. I have a blog since November and I understand every point that you wrote!
    xx

    www.theblackblush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post!
    <3
    http://www.adelaacanski.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. he moved to the entertainment also contributed to the decision weight soared.chiffon prom dresses 2015

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post! The blogging world is so much larger than I ever thought it was going to be and people need to be aware of the disadvantages!

    Jodie @ Jodetopia x

    ReplyDelete