Sunday, May 10, 2015

BOOKS: "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"



Recently, I read a book titled "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" by Jenny Han. I found this book in the bookstore and after a friend recommended it, I figured hey, why not? Frankly, I was in a bit of a book dilemma when picking up this one because it sounded, to me, like a very cliché, mainstream plot, and I feared that it was a bit too much of a checklist. I mean, the title was kind of giving it away. But I went for it anyway and it wasn't bad at all!

The length is 355 pages long, and it's probably somewhere between the YA, Fiction, and Romance genres. As a summary, this book basically tells the story of a young, ordinary Asian girl named Lara Jean Song Covey (because that is a very ordinary name yeah) (I might have been a bit jealous of her full name) (BUT ANYWAY) who had this habit of writing love letters to boys that she liked. These letters help her clarify her feelings and basically she never actually sends the letters. Instead, she keeps them in a hatbox.



One day, Lara Jean's letters were all accidentally mailed *gasp* to all the boys she's loved before (see what I did there?). Long story short, her life gets turned upside down, she faces humiliation, embarrassment, and yet, her love life couldn't get any better. Lara Jean lives with her father, who's a doctor, a big sister named Margot, who's just the most perfect form of a lady ever, and a hyperactive burst of curiosity, her little sister Kitty. Lara Jean was just a very cheeky girl who was more than what she believes herself to be.

I found this book particularly adorable. I'm not saying it was amazing, but I feel like normally, it's hard for me to fall for cheesy romantic and "cutesy" books like this one, but I ended up liking it a lot. One of the characters named Peter Kavinsky ended up stealing my heart, and of course there's Josh, another boy in the story, who's your typical handsome, friendly, protective neighbour whom you treat as a big brother. I mean, we all have that, right?



Okay I hope you realize how sarcastic I'm being about this book right now. Yes, I did enjoy it, but the thing is, I don't see it as a very real thing. If that makes sense. It's not just the very whimsical, fun, adorable storyline, but it's also the type of lifestyle that the main character actually leads.

In this book, she literally knits and scrapbooks and bakes and so I guess it became a bit too... feminine slash preppy for me. This book is simply quite different than the ones I'd normally choose to read. I love preppy, but I feel like this book doesn't align with reality at all, leaving me with high standards on boys and even higher standards on, well, productivity.

However, overall, despite the little typos along the way, I actually really enjoyed this book. It was cute and fun and I liked going with the story. It wasn't hard to read at all, and I totally enjoyed getting into it. I give it a 3.9/5 and I'm very excited for the second book: "P.S I Love You". (Of course, not cheesy at all). 




Anyway, I do hope you guys enjoyed reading through this book review. This is possibly one of the weirdest reviews I've actually ever made, but I think that's just the slow internet kicking in. I hope you guys have a lovely day!

Have you read any nice books recently? Have you read this one? What did you think? Leave a comment below, and don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin!

From the girl who loves diving into a world that's not her own,



11 comments :

  1. I saw this book on the shelf in a store today and ALMOST bought it. I quite like cheesy romance books but only if they're at least semi-realistic.. Hmm. Do you think id like this book? I'm tempted!

    Lauren x
    Http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love this book, Lauren! I totally recommend it for you then. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Great review...thanks for sharing!

    htpp://www.fashionpumpkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an interesting book, might have to check it out now that I've read your review! Thanks for sharing!


    Hope you'll check out my latest post on CH1K.com

    Helen xx
    http://CH1K.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks really nice!

    XX

    http://www.floortjeloves.com
    http://www.facebook.com/floortjeloves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I have not been reading any books lately


    CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had trouble picking out books lately. I feel like everything's just recycled. I hope to find some good books for the summer!
    --
    prettymadthings.blogspot.co.uk // x

    ReplyDelete
  7. both temperature and yet with grace, it seems Vanessa fashion skill it also should not be underestimated.abendkleider münchen

    ReplyDelete