Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Reasons I Wouldn't Follow a Fashion Blogger


I realised some time ago that there is a difference between running a fashion blog and actually becoming a fashion blogger. As I run a fashion and lifestyle blog (where I do talk about fashion and post about fashion), I probably couldn't be considered as a "fashion blogger" yet. 

But basically, I follow a very unhealthy number of fashion bloggers through my social media accounts. I literally follow so many of them, but I have come across some bloggers I just didn't choose to follow. Listed below are reasons why I would not follow a fashion blogger that I find.
  1. They don't use good quality pictures. - I'm not saying every fashion blogger should own or use a DSLR camera, but I am saying that good quality pictures are very important when you're trying to highlight a certain look. You can use any pocket camera (even your phone sometimes), as long as you have good lighting and the photos are well-edited. Also the size of course!
  2. They never say anything in their posts! - Okay, I get if you're not a person who likes to write. But it is so important for your followers to know what you've been up to, or the story behind your outfit, or how your day is going. Only a few sentences would do! I've followed a few fashion bloggers who only post pictures on their posts, and nothing else. Frankly, I felt like I didn't know them at all! All I'm saying is if I only wanted pictures, I could just follow your Instagram. 
  3. They don't actually "style", they just wear. - The reason you are called a fashion blogger is because you are to express yourself through the fashion you wear and the styling decisions you choose. So honestly, if it's just to promote that $200 dress with no accessory whatsoever, I tend to have my doubts. You have to style as much as you can.
  4. They post every 145273 years or something. - Maybe it's just my impatience, but I do not want to end up following that one blogger who only posts once every 3 months or something. You don't have to post everyday, true. But I think fashion bloggers should post three or four times a week, or maybe just once a week, once in two weeks at least! Posting too rarely kind of implies that you're expecting your followers to just stick around to wait for your next post. No, we're just gonna leave.
  5. They tell us to shop at brands that cost at least $100 per item. - I never have any problem with the endorsements or advertising that bloggers do, but please don't expect me to buy those $500 shoes from Jeremy Scott. I do follow plenty of famous and successful bloggers who wear very high-end clothing, but I really like the ones who wear everyday, affordable clothes. Makes me think you don't have to be rich to blog.
  6. Their actual blog doesn't look like a blog. - A blog definitely needs a good navigation system, like putting tabs, and adding a good template, and whatnot. But the thing is, I like seeing blogs that look like blogs. As pretty as they can be, I like blogs that make me believe it's just a fashion blog with posts from a real fashion blogger person. This kind of doesn't happen whenever I enter a blog and then there's this really complicated layout that I have to kind of adapt to. It's like visiting Style.com and not a fashion blog. I do have to give them some credit because that must've taken a lot of HTML work, but I really just prefer normal-but-pretty looking blogs.
  7. Their taste in fashion collides with my own personal style. - Lastly, this one's kind of a no-brainer, but I obviously will not follow you if we have very different taste in fashion. I adore following fashion blogs because they provide me with a daily dose of fashion inspiration. Obviously, there's never much to say if the person I'm following wears nothing that I would wear personally. So figuring out how a blogger chooses their style is a big deal for me. If you have a very Japanese-neon-kawaii vibe, for example, to your OOTDs, then I probably won't follow you. Although it isn't a personal thing, it's still something that keeps me from following a fashion blogger.
So that's all for today's post! I can't wait to share with you my next post because it's gonna be really great and different. I hope you stay tuned!

Are you a fashion blogger? If yes, did you find this useful? Do you follow a lot of fashion bloggers? What makes you not follow one? Leave a comment below, I'd love to know what you think!

Have an awesome day!



*The fashion blogger I put in the picture above is Chiara Ferragni from the Blonde Salad. I know this post is talking about reasons I wouldn't follow a fashion blogger but I have nothing against Chiara, I'm just using her photo because she's very well-known, and have a good number of photos in high quality. I hope this didn't offend anyone.

25 comments :

  1. Nice post. It is interesting to hear why you wouldn't follow a fashion blog and you argued your points very well. It seems the blogging community is full of fashion and beauty blogs so I do follow a few but some do annoy me when they just post pictures without writing anything, like you mentioned. I might try and do a fashion post soon, and see how it goes, so these points have really helped. Thanks.
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks a lot Emily, glad this helped. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Interesting post and very helpfull tips!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I agree with every single point here, and there are so many times I'm intrigued to follow someone but walk away for one of these reasons. Good to be mindful of these things haha

    www.tailoredandtrue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said!
    I follow fashion bloggers if I like their style and the feel of their blog :)

    Neeny x

    neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what concern this theme, I follow only the blogger I love, those who styled look like me, that represent for me an inspiration, so I'm agree with you!
    http://laviecestchic.blogspot.it
    facebook.com/laviecestchic

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a great post! you have a wonderful blog!:)

    mfashionfreak♥blog
    GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree! I blog, although I'm definitely not a fashion blogger, and I like to feel like I know something about the bloggers. Like you said, I don't need a life story, but context for the clothing is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are definitely good tipps and I so agree with them. especially with the one about "style" it's soooo boring to just wear a high priced dress with shoes and a clutch. I mean, sure, I wear this too in my private life but its not really an inspiration to my followers so it mostly stays unshared

    www.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting topic! I agree with a lot of the points but I find it interesting how some of the biggest bloggers contrast some of your points. I'm thinking of #2 where Atlanta Pacific who rarely has any writing or #4 where bloggers like Gary Pepper Girl and Tuula Vintage don't have a schedule--but their quality is so ridiculously high it is somewhat forgivable.

    One of my personal reasons is if they don't ever post their own outfit photos. I love inspiration posts and the occasional Polyvore mix, but if that's all a blog is made up of then I won't follow.

    Such an interesting topic, really loved it! x

    Elleosophy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for sharing about what you think, Ellen! And yes I do have some bloggers in mind who do these things apparently. :( As for Atlantic Pacific, I do still follow her because of her undeniably great taste in fashion though. Unfortunately, she never writes.
      That's actually a really good point! Polyvore never really interested me though. Xoxo

      Delete
  10. I like fashion but I don't follow a lot of fashion bloggers, I don't find it super interesting unless the photography is stand out and the blogger has some interesting thoughts to share.

    Hanh x | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing
    xox
    borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, really. I absolutely agree with you!

    hannie,
    chapters like this

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this.

    The main reason I don't like to follow fashion bloggers is I don't actually have anything to contribute!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing I agree with you on all of these. I find it hard to read fashion blogs when I know I can't afford any of the clothes
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually agree with everything you've said! I'm a fashion/travel/lifestyle blogger so more varied in my posts, but I like to think my fashion posts are decent, haha! What do you use to edit your photos/what edits, and what camera do you use? xx

    I'm new to the blogging scene and hoping to make some friends in the blogging community, if you're interested? :3

    www.chontellelouise.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for commenting!
      You have gorgeous photos, so you got nothing to worry about really! :)
      I use Photoshop and PicMonkey to edit my blog photos, and I use a Nikon D3100. Xx

      Delete
  16. Interessting. happy easter!

    Check out my new post on my blog about Easter Deko!
    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com

    Posts online about Hollywood, Beijing, South Africa, Military Style...

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this post :) nice weekend :)

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the post. visit here to find more Latest fashion

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with your template statement. I actually really dislike fashion blogs with the "magazine" style templates.

    ReplyDelete