Friday, March 20, 2015

BOOKS: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins



Hello, everyone!

It's been a while and I've been struggling with coming up with a new post since I have been extremely worn out coming back from my trip, especially with all the school work that follows. But anyway, I'm so excited to finally be doing my second book review, and this time, I'll be reviewing a book by Paula Hawkins called "The Girl on the Train".

So I bought this book a few weeks ago and I was kind of contemplating on whether I should've bought this book or another one I found in the store that day. I am very happy with my decision, you guys. The book is so fascinating and it's terrific. I really enjoyed reading it!




The story is, there's basically a girl named Rachel who's an unemployed, newly-sacked alcoholic and commuter who takes the same train everyday. On her usual route, the train tends to stop briefly at a signal, and from that spot, Rachel always looks out the window into this house near the tracks where a seemingly happy and perfect couple lives. She enjoys looking at how they live and show affection towards each other. And then the book kind of unveils the true story behind this couple ("Jason" and "Jess" is what Rachel calls them) from "Jess"'s point of view. One day, "Jess" suddenly disappears. The plot thickens along the way and it's extremely interesting to follow.  It also shed light into Rachel's rough past (and present condition too). In the end, we realize that everyone's a victim at some point of the story.

I didn't really like, firstly, how the book was constantly jumping from one time setting to another. It was fine, but it did make me a bit bothered with how I must follow through the story. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself going to the previous pages to check which time setting a certain story took place. Other than that, I do like the cover, but I just always feel like the book title on the cover must be as clear and bold as possible. I feel like seeing the cover of this book (with the graphics) makes me pretty dizzy. Such an awesome book should've had a better cover to promote it.



The thing I loved most about this book was actually the plot twist. Actually, there were multiple plot twists, and that just made the book very gripping and fascinating. The first quarter of the book, I felt, was okay, but it literally went better and better from there. I liked how Paula Hawkins dug really deeply into each character, allowing us to understand their reckless "adult" personalities. I felt like she was very insightful in this book. There was a very good amount of mystery, which I loved. I spent so much time guessing and guessing. Literally guys, so much fun to read. To be honest, when the book was described as a "thriller", I had my doubts, but I ended up being very impressed.

Have you read this book? Do you like mystery reads? Have you also been reading some nice books? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I'd love to hear from you today!

From the girl who loves books and mystery and sometimes trains,









13 comments :

  1. Interesting post! ;)
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

    My Showroom




    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such an exciting book! A few people have recommended it recently but I never really looked in to the plot, but after reading this it's definitely going on my "to read" list - it sounds right up my street x

    Charlotte / Colours & Carousels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a totally exciting book! You should definitely read it. Thanks for commenting!

      THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking about start a Book Series on my blog! I really enjoyed this! Haven't read that book yet, but I'm definitely going to read it anytime soon. I'll let you know! xx

    http://alemint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Alright, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  4. Looks amazing <3
    kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks great, thanks for sharing
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! X Minale
    http://minaleme.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! ♥ I need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm absolutely up for a good mystery but am usually hesitant when it comes to contemporary, but this sounded good. And intriguing. Hope you'll do more book reviews, I find them so enjoyable to read (and the best way to find new books!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good plot twist, they really elevate a story to another level when they are cleverly written.

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  10. never read this book before but it sounds amazing and I'm one for plot twists so I'm definitely adding this to my list of 'to read'...such a good review too dear, you didn't give away anything important but just the basics :)

    http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete