Friday, January 9, 2015

DIY: Decorating My "Wreck This Journal" Cover



"Make a mess. Clean it up." -Keri Smith

I've always loved the works of Keri Smith, I think she's such a creative being, and her project books are amazing. Some time ago, I wanted to buy a Wreck This Journal, but I kind of doubted how it would turn out. A little after that, I got it as a gift from my mom's friend! So I received this journal a very long time ago, and lately, I've been starting to kind of dive into it. 

I started by decorating a bit on the cover, and I wanted to make it pretty and leave all the messy parts on the inside. I took out a few of my art supplies and decorating materials (which, by the way, I have a special cabinet for) and just started! So I kind of just wanted to share to you guys how I did it, I hope you enjoy this post!



I started by colouring in these letters with different coloured pencils (Faber Castell, if you were wondering). It's really simple and nothing special but I always like adding a little colour to everything I see anyway.


Good music while being creative is a must, of course. No, a necessity.





And the little page is done! So the pictures below will show you what I did with the journal's cover:


So a small fact about myself, I have a very strong and loving obsession towards Washi tapes. The patterns, colours, I can never seem to get enough of them! I adore how you can put them on anything and it gives off a beautiful and creative edge to everything. So this time, I used this tape which has this beautiful, colourful pattern. Then I just taped it all around the title of the book. (Maybe I'm just mainstream like that)




This isn't my favourite roll of Washi tape, but I haven't had the time to buy some more from the bookstore, and so I thought it was pretty enough and the pattern is quite eye-catching, so I thought hell yeah why not use it?



To top it off, I just took out this beautiful red ribbon that I've been keeping for a while inside my supplies cabinet. I really adore it and right now, I just put it on anything I could put my hands on.


So I cut the ribbon off at a certain length, and then tied it into a small and pretty little bow.



And ta-da! That's basically how the cover looks right now! I am very happy about it and I think it looks pretty enough. (And now I can't wait to wreck this book) We'll see how it goes. So do stay tuned as I will post a bunch of posts featuring my Wreck This Journal book and my journey to wreck it completely! I totally love doing this, because I think it's such a productive and fun way to fill up your extra time at home. It gives so much room for creativity, and I adore the idea of it. This is a very popular journal project, and I think I know every reason why.

So that's all for now! I hope you liked this post, and please follow me on Bloglovin! Also, I've finally transformed my Twitter account into a special page made for this blog, so please follow it on this link! I'm totally active on Twitter so I can't wait to see you there!

Do you have a "Wreck this Journal"? Do you have any other projects coming up? Tell me all about it in the comments below, I'd love to know all about it!



PS: To give you just a little sneak peek on what I did to one of the first pages of the book:



27 comments :

  1. I got a "Wreck this Journal" as well! It's such a fun book. Yours looks great! I have no clue how I'm going to decorating mine...

    Celestralite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I never heard about it, but it looks really like a fun book and you created yours so great!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted one of those! They seem so cool! Maybe one day, haha. Oh my gosh, washi tape is one of my favorite things ever. It's the best invention to be honest. Great post!

    Cheers to Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is the best invention! Hahaha. Thanks a lot <3

      Delete
  4. Great post girl! I just read your 'About Me' page and I am 15 too!! I am from Florida.. Anyways, I laughed out loud reading your page talking about age-ism and can totally relate. We are in this together girl! I followed your blog and look forward to more posts from you in the future. Keep it up!

    Juliana Grace | www.julianagraceblogspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so so so much for reading that and for the super nice comment! Hahaha we totally are. It's wonderful meeting you! Followed you right back, sweetheart. <3

      Delete
  5. Cool! I want to try this
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keri Smith is really a creative soul! :) Awesome post! <3
    allygong.com
    -Ally Gong

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun and easy way to get creative - I love it soo much! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job! I've had a Wreck this journal for a long time, but I always forget about it... I also made a post about it awhile ago. :)

    Sara Wallflower

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks awesome! X Minale
    http://minaleme.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about the Wreck It Journals and have always wanted one, but the bookworm inside me cringes at the thought of destroying something!! Hahaha.

    Elleosophy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been so intrigued by this book and have wanted it but hesitated if I would really enjoy it. Sounds like a fun thing to do, though, and I'm looking forward seeing more posts about it and how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your DIY project on the cover, very cute. :)

    xx
    Yvonne
    http://tellmeyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to have a wreck my journal! Your blog is really amazing and you're an amazing photographer!! I love that song as well!

    xo Rida
    www.mysimplyperfect.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to get a wreck journal! They look like so much fun :) you've decorated it beautifully x

    Hannah x | hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe I haven't heard of this project before, where have I been? This is amazing and I love what you're doing with it!

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Keri's journals!! I have one I started but never finished. I love the way you've decorated yours :)

    Ali
    Pretty in Python
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been really wanting to get the Wreck This Journal. I lovvee how you decorated the front, that patterned scotch tape is awesome!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Journal writing is so important, the quality time with yourself on paper. Or, on the blog. Or, both:)

    Oly | TLV Birdie Blog
    http://tlvbirdie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I was thinking of purchasing a wreck this journal as well. Love the concept of it.
    xx
    Coco
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Fault In Our Stars was definitely one of my faves. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised I commented on the wrong post, oopsies! It was suppose to be on your movies post. xx

      Delete