Friday, December 19, 2014

Thoughts on Dior Pre-Fall 2015





Greetings, lovely people.
I logged into Style.com and found out about Dior's most recent fashion show. I've been paying a lot of attention to their gorgeous beauty products (along with the beautiful campaigns with their hashtags like #ItDior or #DiorTips), but this fashion show kind of caught me off guard. According to the reviews, it's said that Dior has had a lot of history with Japan. Nicole Phelps, in her review in the website, mentioned:
The house of Dior has a long history with Japan. In the early '50s Christian Dior designed a series of looks in fabrics from Kyoto's famous Tatsumura workshop. Around the same time, the Tokyo department store Daimaru began selling his haute couture. Later, Dior was commissioned to design three dresses for the civil portion of Princess Michiko's wedding ceremony. But the designer's fascination with the country began earlier than that. In his autobiography, he recalled his childhood obsession with the Japanese screens in his Granville home, likening them to his "Sistine Chapel."

To sum it up, this kind of explains that the collection gives off certain aesthetics. I wouldn't exactly name it "Japanese" but from the aspects of the makeup and the hair, also the edgy patterns and silhouettes, not to mention the setting of the show itself (modern and sleek, not as rosy as how Dior is usually) it's not hard to tell.



Okay, again, I'm no fashion critic, not an expert in the industry as well, but I felt like I just wanted to share some thoughts (and some photos) from the whole collection and the whole fashion show too. I decided to start on the beauty aspect or the makeup.



In beautifully edited and gorgeously taken photos like these ones above, I thought: Wow, this makeup looks so different! How innovative and exciting, it looks stunning! Dior does manufacture the best beauty products ever, so it wasn't surprising to me that the makeup turned out gorgeous. That was until I actually saw that apparently, these nice complimenting thoughts are none other than effects of looking at these gorgeous backstage shots.

Upon seeing the photos from the runway, I felt like the makeup was a bit too odd for me. Dior has always reflected this essence of elegance, innocence, but still couture. At least that's what I've been getting from their previous collections. I understand if they are going for something different now, but let's take a look:


The photo on the left was from Dior's Couture Fall 2014 show, and on the right was obviously from the Pre-Fall 2015. What am I missing here? It's Dior! I should be excited! I should love and adore it with all that I am! Well apparently I am feeling quite the opposite. The makeup in their Couture Fall 2014 show was absolutely gorgeous. The classic silver eyeliner stands out while they make the rest of the makeup look very simple and minimalistic. Now, their makeup for the Pre-Fall 2015 kind of left my mind in controversies. They made it look quite different with the pale shade and then the subtle yet modern lipstick colour. Of course, the thing to really pay attention to is the eye makeup. To just clarify this, it's basically black placed right in the middle of the lid, and then decorated (or shall I say, shimmered) with little pieces of sequin or glitter. In Hunger Games terms, it went from Cinna to Effie Trinket real quick.

It is genius, and innovative, and not to mention very different. But I am not amused. Impressed, but not happy about it. In the words of Simon Cowell, it's a no from me.

Now on to the collection itself. I scrolled through the slideshow from Style.com, and had some thoughts, but my first real thought was:


This shouldn't have been the opening look.

But anyway, despite how I felt unimpressed by the opening look (thinking it was a bit too bland and did not specially reflect on the collection) the collection itself also differed from Dior's usual feminine, rosy, peachy and pale garments or looks. This collection kind of shows them practically playing with many different patterns, but no flowers or roses this time, ladies. It's all leather, sequins, and a much darker colour palette for this collection. The outfits really vary in a quite specified range. The necklines are all, of course, typically turtlenecks and overly-emphasized collars, but the looks go from leather coats, and then knee-high boots, and then long trousers paired with sweater vests and sequins, and then you see hints of plaid, and the list goes on. The silhouettes are actually marvellous, and the colours are new, classic, and sleek, but of course it's unlike anything we normally see from Dior. From this collection, I picked out 23 favourite looks:





So that practically sums up all I have to say about Dior's Pre-Fall 2015 show. There were so little, yet so much to say. It still continues to, indeed, take our breath away, only not in ways I expected or initially wanted it to. One does not simply rate Dior, so I'll leave it at its best. I am looking forward to seeing better outcomes from them in the upcoming seasons!

What are your thoughts on this collection? Tell me all about it in the comments below!



{All photos courtesy of Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Style.com}






32 comments :

  1. I love that window pane print!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection! The coats are just elegant and classy!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually a nice collection but I have the same thought about the make up, Effie 100% haha! Is really smart but not classy on my point of view ^^; !
    Thanks for sharing! a really nice review ^__^

    http://winterwonderlandbouquet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is just stunning! I agree with you about the makeup, it didn't really have a classy vibe! x

    Angela // The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like such an incredible line!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the ground! SWOON! Dior just gets me every year!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very miss John Galliano. Sorry but this pre-fall is not for me... ;)
    www.theladycracy.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. the eye make up is a bit scary!

    xXx
    Blog: http://unspeakablethoughtsunspoken.blogspot.com
    Shop: http://unspeakablethoughtsunspoken.tictail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The eye make up look so cute :D

    http://putrivalentinalim.blogspot.com/2014/12/christmas-is-doing-little-something.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.lifeofbrookeandjane.blogspot.com/2014/12/friday-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice posts!!
    http://www.myshowroomblog.es/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! :)
    P.S. Thank you for your nice comment on my blog! :)
    http://www.julitastefashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. Happy Holidays.

    Eye See Euphoria : http://eyeseeeuphoria.com/post/top-10-eyewear-for-christmas-7-linda-farrow

    ReplyDelete
  14. loved the photos you chose and your opinions x
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  15. You Inspire me!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU inspire ME! You're one of my faves, thanks so much for commenting <3

      Delete
  16. I do agree with you this year's fashion show was a bit odd which is stating it lightly I suppose. But there's nothing wrong with something new and a little experimentation. The models always look amazing in everything xxx

    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the looks you chose out as your favourites. I think some of the outfits are absolutely beautiful. I love Dior. x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I'm a fan of the makeup either, but I think that the collection looks amazing!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dior make up always looks amazing!
    Very nice blog by the way :)

    Kisses from Russia,
    Juliet
    RUSSIAN DOLL

    ReplyDelete
  20. all these clothes are so beautiful! The makeup is strange though!

    http://wonderfulandweirdbeautyandlife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice
    visit my blog
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very chic collection, like their boots :)
    Kisses
    Svetlana
    http://capemaychic.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. The makeup is fantastic, I love this block eyeshadow trend!

    Jenna || Jennafifi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete